Winter has melted. Valentine hearts have flown out of the Jar and spring has arrived.
I don't know about you but the summer magazine's started filling my mailbox weeks ago "briefing" me on whats new in swimsuits. :/
How are your 2015 health resolutions looking ?
A client of mine and talented Personal Trainer, Lauren Hanks was so kind to share some of HER favorite insights to staying focused resolutions that seem so long ago.
STAY THE COURSE EVERYONE! Show Lauren some love.
YOUR first exercise: After the article, scrooooll ALL the way down to the very bottom to find one of Lauren's favorite recipe & Sign up for upcoming features ;) - C
I've been thinking a LOT about how to avoid the common pit-falls of over-eating, over-drinking, under-sleeping, under-exercising and on and on. How do we avoid feeling lousy, fattened up, unorganized, unaccomplished, undisciplined, sluggish, wishful and all those defeating things after the holidays and in amongst our regular fun lives?! I recently read a book that truly resonated with me. The Compound Effect. In this book, Darren Hardy talks about our daily routines and habits that sum up to the whole of who we are!
"WHAT'S SIMPLE TO DO IS ALSO SIMPLE TO NOT DO."
The magic is not in the complexity of the task; the magic is in the doing of simple things repeatedly and long enough to ignite the miracle of the Compound Effect. So, beware of neglecting the simple things that make the big things in your life possible. A daily routine built on good habits is the difference that separates the most successful amongst us from everyone else.
"Indulging in your bad habits doesn't seem to have negative effects at all in the moment."
It's the summation of those choices. So we can wake up and wonder how in the world we got to such an unhealthy place? Or we can wake up and be energetically charged for the day, ready to take ownership of all the small choices that positively impact our health. Every Day Counts. Make yourself proud!
A few tips:
- Drink half of your body weight in ounces EVERY DAY to ward off dehydration and false hunger pains.
- For the week, aim for 80% super clean eating. ENJOY the rest!
- Pick only the parties/events, occasions that mean the absolute most to you. Every other night, go to bed early. Adequate sleeps helps you make better decisions.
- Have a snack or small meal before attending a party so you don't go crazy on junk food.
- Replace the late evening glass of wine with a cup of high quality hot tea.
- Stay ACTIVE! Do not neglect your workout routine. Go for a walk, jog, do body weight exercises in the driveway or hotel to keep your body in motion.
- Set an alarm in the evening to shut everything down (phones, emails, facebook) and start relaxing for bed. When this alarm goes off, disconnect yourself from the chaos of the day or the anxiety of tomorrow.
***CHALLENGE: Pick one of these things you’ll focus on this week!
Please remember, if we do the simple thing repeatedly and create a positive and healthy daily routine, we'll be successful! ***Please visit and LIKE my page at www.facebook.com/fitnessandfoodforyou***
HERE IS ONE OF MY favorite HEALTHY SALAD RECIPE
KALE & CRANBERRY SALAD
compliments of Terry Givens at www.resetyourbody.com
One large head of kale cut very small (stems removed from end and center)
1 cup diced Cherry Tomatoes
¾ cup Dried Cranberries
¾ cup Pine Nuts OR Pumpkin Seeds ( whatever you prefer)
Sprinkle of Fleur de Sel or Sea Salt
1 large juicy Lemon freshly squeezed
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 tablespoons Honey
Mix salad ingredients in large bowl. Mix dressing ingredients in medium bowl and mix well together. Add dressing to salad and toss.
All can be adapted to taste! If you like a more lemon flavor, use lemon infused olive oil or more fresh lemon juice. If you like sweeter, use more honey.
Perks of using kale (besides the incredible nutrition properties) is that it is hardy enough a leaf to be great left over! You can make a big batch of salad and have for two days.